Sunday, October 20, 2013

**Some of these suspension's/boarding penalties are pretty ridiculous. OK I get the hit on Boyle, easily a 5-min major + game misconduct. But as a player taking a hit there is a fine line between drawing a penalty (Andrew Shaw) and failing to protect yourself (Brenden Morrow). Hockey is a contact sport, don' just turn your back to the play when you see a hit coming. If you can't protect yourself on the ice, you shouldn't be in the league.

**Agree w/ what your saying, though I don't think Boyle had much of a chance with this one. Looked to me like he was starting to lose his balance a bit, and Lappy just finished it off w/ a push on his numbers. Senseless act that should cost him 5-7 games, imo. I still haven't heard or read what exactly the injury was. Neck? His head? Just that he's been released to go home.

**Given Lapierre's history, he should be suspended for at least 20 games. I am not exaggerating. I personally like the Blues a lot, but the disgusting nature of that play transcends differences in the teams we cheer for, because we all love the same game.

**I was able to watch bits and pieces of this game. Not a big Sharks fan, even more, a hater of Big Joe, but this team looks like no Sharks team of the past, they look focused and on a mission. The leaders are leading which has always been their downfall for the big games. On the other hand, I love to hate the Blues becaue they are going to be our biggest challenge in our division but I like their team. This is a one time deal, the inexperience and emotional Blues team got beat by a focused and experienced Sharks team. No statments made here in my book other than I look forward to watching every one of their games. Both great teams that will be there fighting in the end.

**Fortunately Dan is OK---San Jose Mercury News beat writer David Pollak exchanged texts with Boyle on Wednesday morning in which Pollak said Boyle told him, "I'm OK. That was scary. Hopefully the symptoms will be very minor if any going forward." Lappierre is as gone as a child molester thrown into the general prison yard.

**Being homie is common. We all do it. The core problem is that these goons keep getting passed around and signed. Maybe the NHLPA protects these guys. They are causing serious injuries and are dangerous regardless of what team they are on. What will it take before something worse happens?

**The incident and subsequent injury to Boyle was a horrible thing to happen. I agree LaPierre should never have been signed by the Blues or even allowed on NHL ice with any team. What is also difficult to understand is how Torres was signed and then resigned by the Sharks? While I agree with all the comments that are chastising LaPierre, I would expect the same consistency regarding Torres. When he was picked up by the Sharks, not all, but most Sharks fan thought it was a great signing. I don't know which of the two goons have a worse history, but neither of them belong on the ice in any league unless maybe they are riding the zambonie.

**at least Torres can provide scoring and we haven't seen him yet. Last year it looked like he really changed his game and we all know the hit on Stoll was BS.

**While I despise the fan base, Sharks1989fan is correct. Clean hit by Torres on Stoll. NHL put themselves into an enforcement corner though with Brown-Pominville and Gryba-Ellers a few weeks earlier. The Hossa hit was malicious, the Stoll hit was clean; Torres is now just reckless, different than malicious.

**You can tell the difference in players looking to finish their checks over someone looking for the big hit. I can't really tell what Torres intent was on Stoll, but I figured it was clean... Stoll coming out saying it was clean sure helped confirm what many of us thought was just a clean hockey play. However, when someone plays the game hard and in your face it shouldn't matter if it's clean or dirty. If guys are getting hurt because of that player, then they should be disciplined. How ridiculous do I sound? Brendan Shanahan sure agrees with me.

**Has any intelligent thought gone into the criteria by which these posts are "moderated"? Is English a second language for the college kids at nhl.com, or do they outsource this to a call center in India?

**I think it shows a lot about fan bases when the perpetrating team's fans can mostly be kind in their comments (there will always be those few...) but a non-related team (looking at you Canucks) have an overwhelming amount of hate and troll-like comments... (again there are those exceptions)

**Ahhhhh, somebody else's problem. LOL Lappiere is generally more of a yapper than a cheap shot artist but it looks like Shanahan is dropping the hammer this year so there will be no tolerance for this kind of thing. I just hope it stays consistent.

**Looks like Kaleta, a repeat offender, got 10 games. Did Jack Johnson return to play? Or is he out? Am wondering how many Lapierre will get. Deserves at least that many, if not more. I did see where he's suspended until the hearing at least. The guy has contributed nothing to this team thus far, and I really hope Armstrong sees that & puts the guy on waivers. My only worry is that some other team will actually pick this guy up. Hoping that Cr acknell and/or Paajarvi get in there & produce & play well to make the decision easier. I don't want this guy wearing the Note.

**I'm glad the Sharks won, but Lapierre ruined this game. This game should have been much closer and more competitive than it turned out to be. It even looked like it was shaping up to be early in the 1st period. I have a lot of respect for the Blues organization. They have built a deep team that gets commitment and results from up and down their lineup. BUT, having a player like Lapierre on your team creates doubt, and implies a certain lack of respect simply through association with a player who shows so little respect.

**Agreed. Lapierre ruined the game. I wasn't thrilled with his signing over the summer, and unfortunately, my skepticism has proven its merit. He's a dirty player who makes idiotic plays. As for creating doubt about an organization's respect for the game, I agree with the guilt by association to an extent. Giving a 2-year contract to Lapierre is on the same level as handing out a 3-year extension to Raffi Torres.

**No comparison: Raffi Torres was forced to change his game before he came to SJ, and he did. No dirty hits since joining the team, and anyone who saw his hit on Stoll in Round 2 last year knows he is still being punished for past crimes. RT also happens to be a skilled hockey player, unlike Mr. Lapierre.

**We will see. I don't think so, based on last season, but I sure won't side with the guy if that happens. But based on his time in SJ as of yet, I really think people are still looking at him as the same Torres from 2011, and he hasn't been playing like that at all. 17 PIM in 39 games and 2 in 5 playoff games last season...

**That said, Jackman took a pretty nasty elbow to the head from 57 a little over 2mins into the game. It went un-called while he lay on the ice, play went on & no penalty was called. It should have been looked at as well, but it is what it is & Jax is alright.

**Lapierre already cost the team the game (or at least a chance to be more competitive), so a teammate isn't going to say anything that could create a rift in the locker room (especially a team leader like Steen). That would only serve to allow Lapierre's idiocy to do more damage to a team that has another tough challenge ahead of them in Chicago. Guys cover for teammates to a fault. Look at Couture's comments about Lapierre and then think about what he'd say about Raffi Torres when he pulls his usual shenanigans. It'd be night and day, but that's what you'd expect from teammates.

**First thing first: The hit on Boyle was dirty, and Lapierre should miss 5-10 games easily. no question. The issue i have is why Burns didn't get 5 on his boarding call. Morrow went head first into the boards, but that is a minor? I don't understand that at all. One dirty play by team A early in a game doesn't give team B a free pass.

**I agree. That whole game just became really awkward and frustrating for both teams. Burns delivered a bad hit, but he didnt injure Morrow (though he shook him up) which I was glad about, and it wasn't a malicious, dirty check. He got the deserved penalty. What about Backes hitting Demers to the ground and trying to beat on him for getting tangled up in a post-whistle offside call? Don't tell me that wasn't deliberate dirty.

**Couture said it perfectly. One of the best players taken out by a guy who shouldn't even be in the league. Lapierre is a trashy player. He was that way in MTL, VAN, and now with St Louis. How is it that people are surprised? All the best to Dan Boyle.

**The different between Torres and Lapierre is that Torres is a skilled player and contributes points and has honestly been trying to be a cleaner player now in his older age and new NHL. While Lapierre just continues to be a goon. Last full season Lapierre played he had 130 PIM, 44 just last year in 48 games. Torres had 4 PIM last season, 13 the year before. BIG difference.

**Note to all the Canucks fans: stop defending this guy.He isn't even on your team. You're just making yourself look dumb. Note to all the Bruins fans: You can't blame Canucks for everything. As much as you like to believe, the Canucks don't make players dirty. You had one finals against them and you won, get over it. God, it's like these fanbases need therapy. They turn everything about each other, or themselves. On another note, the Blues fans are some of most respectful I've seen. Glad they ended being the team that got Halak.

**Lapierre is a PUNK, period. He is a cheap shot artist and when it comes to dropping the gloves for a clean fight, he always gets pounded. Sure he will fight, he goes after smaller guys. When challenged by an equal or bigger player, often times he won't drop the gloves. I hope he gets a nice looooong vacation!



0 comments:

Post a Comment