**Congrats to MacKinnon on number 1, the Avs looking good so far this year, maybe this means a Redwings - Avs cup final could happen soon? Eh, only a few games into the season. Would still be cool though.
**CerpinTaxt... what a DISGRACEFUL caps fan you are. You sound like a leafs fan. Everything is all ponies and princesses in your world... everything is going to be fine... I hope caps loose a few more, you bandwagon fans have no clue what you are talking about hence why you think everything is all good and fine. You think Mcphee is a great General Manager. That makes you loose the little ounce of credibility you had.
**haha I've been a fan for twenty years. You sound like a bandwagon fan because we aren't the 2008-2009 team and are complaining because of it. You don't understand true hockey. You don't understand the hard work it takes. You look at scores and nothing beyond it.
**I'm not saying we are going to win the SC or that we are even going to make the playoffs, but I'm giving this new team more than 5 games before complaining. I can see the positives beyond just losing a game. I see progress, puck possession, corsi%, fenwick%, weak and strong d sides and lines that fail or succeed. You see losses and nothing else.
**You're the only guy here who comes on a chat board after their team looses 5-1 and claims that Lucky bounces and hot goalie were the reason the caps lost 5-1 and think the caps outplayed the avs. What a joke. your intelligence level is rather low. You probably thought every time the caps loose a game 7 on home ice that they just got unlucky and hockey is all about lucky bounces.
**I brought stats to show "puck luck". Ask any professional hockey statistician and they will agree with me. I understand you don't get it, a lot people don't. As for our game 7 loss, it was our fault. An ugly game with no excuse. You guys keep painting me as a fan that thinks we are always unlucky and we can't do any wrong. We do plenty wrong and our team needs ton of work. The Chicago and Calgary games were horrible games on our part. But I also see where we progress, even in losses, and can see a pattern of a team that is getting better. Most of all I am willing to give more than 5 games to judge a team. I tell you what. If the Caps are still playing this horrible by game 15 I'll shut my mouth and you guys can complain all you want. I'm just asking you give them less than 1/5 of the season before judging.
**As an Avs fan, as good as these past two wins have felt, allowing 40 shots a game is eventually going to catch up to you. I agree, as a defensive unit they've gotten better at minimizing the "quality" of shots, but 40 shots is 40 shots, people. I think, and as Roy has pointed out a few times, the Avs want to be an entertaining team this year and give the fans something to cheer about, which in the NHL translates into a high offensive style of game. Lots of risk and reward with playing like this, and typically results into giving up a lot of chances. I'd prefer if they'd play more like they did against the Leafs and Preds, where they really clamped down on defense and made Varly's job a lot easier. Hopefully they can find a happy medium in the style they play, and can continue to win. Here's to hoping, anyways!
**Varly and Giggy are both too solid goaltenders to be beaten by these fluff shots. Maybe 1 out of every few hundred slip past but chances are where we are going to be beat. Colorado gave up a lot of good chances tonight which is what worries me. The other thing you have to look at is teams like Boston and Washington shoot a ton, Ovi alone can get ten shots on net in a single game. We need to improve but so far it looks like night and day from last year.
**Guys calm down, the caps are always a slow starting team. They will make the playoffs, don't worry! Ovi isn't off to a bad start and the way the team is playing right now, he's only gonna try to carry them further! Wake up caps and let's win some games!!!
**You're an embarrassment to caps fans. Anybody who is capable of seeing beyond the score of a game can see that they have no structure in their defensive zone and are getting outworked left and right. Even if they had forty shots on goal, whenever you give up 5 goals, you did not outplay your opponent. Please stop the continuous flow of BS that is spewing from your ignorant face
**When did I ever say we had a good defense. We don't. I like the people who hate on me just make up what I say, it really shows what you know. But if any smart hockey person looks at 41 shots, over 25 scoring chances, a 28 to 8 minute difference in puck possession, they would say the Caps outworked the Avs ie Oates.
**Love that Colorado is beasting right now - it's been too long! Love it even more that Patrick Roy is coaching that team. What a great start to the season for the Avs and for Roy! Too bad they had to hand the Leafs their first regulation loss though.
**The Caps "leaders" - Brouwer, Green, Laich had miserabe games. A complete lack of energy, no grit, and no leadership to gain or regain momentum when it was much needed in this game. Ovechkin and Backstom played well, but when someone like Nicky B is the guy playing with the most fiestiness on the team, there are issues. This young Avs team has more leaders on just a single line than the Caps do from lines 1-4. Players like Downie, Bordeleau, McLeod, Sarich, and McGinn know exactly what it takes to gain and keep momentum. The Caps showed their lack of work ethic, the meanness, and the talent to keep up with better teams in the NHL. The best this team can potentially do is grab a playoff spot and find themselves in a 1st or 2nd round exit because the pieces are not there.
**actually, we all know what the Caps are capable of ever since the Ovechkin era. Tell me, how many playoff series have the caps won since 2006? Caps will most likely make the playoffs, but as HarmCity pointed out, they just don't have all the pieces or tenacity to make a deep run.
**I think he's basing it off of five seasons. I've been a caps fan since before I can remember, so I know this team. Too many caps fans just say "Well we outplayed the competition, the bounces just never go our way." The thing is, you have to be good to be lucky. Anyway, I know the caps have slow starts and then catch fire, I always have high hopes for our guys, but historically, the intangibles aren't there. I want them to prove everyone wrong and make a deep run, but they can't keep playing below their skill level and having good runs followed by bad ones. This isn't Moneyball. Stats don't tell the whole story.
**This cerpinTaxt fella are the type of fans that show up when the teams winning a few games and then completely disappear when the team doesn't make the playoffs... complete h0ser bandwagoner. He probably started watching hockey a few years ago.
**LordFairfax, come join us over at CSNwashington blog, we need more goat blood drinking fans like you who see the truth with mcphee. We post always on the latest thread. Right now the thread is "are the caps playing better than their record?" Anyways, CerpinTaxt only sees a few games but doesn't realize that Mcphee has been in office for 16 years. He thinks we are delusi0nal for calling out the team. "its only a few games". Ha yea right Cerpin.
**I'm complaining still. I see your point about our defense giving up too many shots, I disagree that means you guys should've won. The true chances you had to score would have left this game still at 5-3. Colorado is a hot team right now, who knows what the long term holds but I think you're being blatantly ignorant to whats happening right now based on what COULD be. The Caps have a good squad on paper but their performance so far is showing they don't have it all together yet, that should generate more concern. Not to the point that OV3CHK1NG is at, you're right that the Caps are good but you talk about them like they're some sort of gods. You can't be so blind to the reality of the situation. Colorado looks better than just about anyone right now and I can still look and pick out plenty of areas we need to improve because it's those weak spots that cost you games.
**The D looks way better than the last few years and from I've been seeing, yes a lot of shots against but also a lot of shots from the outside. The goalies have been able to see the play very well so the D is clearing the front of the net very effectively. The goalies have also been amazing and the breakouts this year are a million times better!!! Proves what good coaching/mentoring, dedication and hard work can do. Such a relief to have Sakic and Roy running the show. GO AVS GO!!!
**Wondering when the pundits will stop with the "haven't played top teams" nonsense. We've played Anaheim, Boston, Washington, and won decisively throughout each of them. Yeah, it's only five games in, but it seems a bit too obvious for anyone who sat through the Granato and Sacco years to truly appreciate that this is a DIFFERENT TEAM under Roy. A lot of dead weight was shed in the offseason and the players are more than happy to take the ice every night. Under Sacco a lot of players were just begging for the season to be done with so they had a few months away from him. This? This is different.
**Varly was insanely good.. side-to-side, kick saves, challenging shooters, etc. Plenty of chances and he came up huge. (too huge in my opinion actually as the D left him hanging several times) Washington players will be having nightmares for a while about him.
**Gosh we were in the Avs zone 28 minutes, they were in the Caps 8 minutes. We were in their zone 110 times. Add that to the Caps having over 40 shots and over 25 scoring chances it's clear we outplayed the Avs. But the Avs did what they had to do and won the game and that's what it comes down too.
**No, it's really not. They caught our D flat footed and admiring their forwards all night. True, we had more scoring chances and more shots and more zone time, but our offense was OUTPLAYED by Varly. Their offense was much better than our defense and their goalie was much better than our offense. In other words, we were outplayed.
**If you lose 3-2 or 4-3 then yes, you can say you may have outplayed the other team and a lucky bounce decided the game. When you lose 5-1 ... You were beat! You were outplayed. Avs were back on their heels in the second but they were back and forth thru the 1st and 3rd and Varly made up the difference in the 2nd. I'm not saying anything mean about the Caps. I'm just saying ... you were soundly beat on this night!
**This dude is a homer if there ever was one. I wouldn't worry too much about it. We could've scored on all 28 shots and he still would be crying that the Caps outplayed us.
**Shots really don't matter. If your goalie is facing shot after shot from the outside, seeing the puck, and saving them all, then you're doing something right. Shots can't always be blocked, but a goalie who knows where and how it's coming from will make the save. That is their job, after all.
**CerpinTaxt... what a DISGRACEFUL caps fan you are. You sound like a leafs fan. Everything is all ponies and princesses in your world... everything is going to be fine... I hope caps loose a few more, you bandwagon fans have no clue what you are talking about hence why you think everything is all good and fine. You think Mcphee is a great General Manager. That makes you loose the little ounce of credibility you had.
**haha I've been a fan for twenty years. You sound like a bandwagon fan because we aren't the 2008-2009 team and are complaining because of it. You don't understand true hockey. You don't understand the hard work it takes. You look at scores and nothing beyond it.
**I'm not saying we are going to win the SC or that we are even going to make the playoffs, but I'm giving this new team more than 5 games before complaining. I can see the positives beyond just losing a game. I see progress, puck possession, corsi%, fenwick%, weak and strong d sides and lines that fail or succeed. You see losses and nothing else.
**You're the only guy here who comes on a chat board after their team looses 5-1 and claims that Lucky bounces and hot goalie were the reason the caps lost 5-1 and think the caps outplayed the avs. What a joke. your intelligence level is rather low. You probably thought every time the caps loose a game 7 on home ice that they just got unlucky and hockey is all about lucky bounces.
**I brought stats to show "puck luck". Ask any professional hockey statistician and they will agree with me. I understand you don't get it, a lot people don't. As for our game 7 loss, it was our fault. An ugly game with no excuse. You guys keep painting me as a fan that thinks we are always unlucky and we can't do any wrong. We do plenty wrong and our team needs ton of work. The Chicago and Calgary games were horrible games on our part. But I also see where we progress, even in losses, and can see a pattern of a team that is getting better. Most of all I am willing to give more than 5 games to judge a team. I tell you what. If the Caps are still playing this horrible by game 15 I'll shut my mouth and you guys can complain all you want. I'm just asking you give them less than 1/5 of the season before judging.
**As an Avs fan, as good as these past two wins have felt, allowing 40 shots a game is eventually going to catch up to you. I agree, as a defensive unit they've gotten better at minimizing the "quality" of shots, but 40 shots is 40 shots, people. I think, and as Roy has pointed out a few times, the Avs want to be an entertaining team this year and give the fans something to cheer about, which in the NHL translates into a high offensive style of game. Lots of risk and reward with playing like this, and typically results into giving up a lot of chances. I'd prefer if they'd play more like they did against the Leafs and Preds, where they really clamped down on defense and made Varly's job a lot easier. Hopefully they can find a happy medium in the style they play, and can continue to win. Here's to hoping, anyways!
**Varly and Giggy are both too solid goaltenders to be beaten by these fluff shots. Maybe 1 out of every few hundred slip past but chances are where we are going to be beat. Colorado gave up a lot of good chances tonight which is what worries me. The other thing you have to look at is teams like Boston and Washington shoot a ton, Ovi alone can get ten shots on net in a single game. We need to improve but so far it looks like night and day from last year.
**Guys calm down, the caps are always a slow starting team. They will make the playoffs, don't worry! Ovi isn't off to a bad start and the way the team is playing right now, he's only gonna try to carry them further! Wake up caps and let's win some games!!!
**You're an embarrassment to caps fans. Anybody who is capable of seeing beyond the score of a game can see that they have no structure in their defensive zone and are getting outworked left and right. Even if they had forty shots on goal, whenever you give up 5 goals, you did not outplay your opponent. Please stop the continuous flow of BS that is spewing from your ignorant face
**When did I ever say we had a good defense. We don't. I like the people who hate on me just make up what I say, it really shows what you know. But if any smart hockey person looks at 41 shots, over 25 scoring chances, a 28 to 8 minute difference in puck possession, they would say the Caps outworked the Avs ie Oates.
**Love that Colorado is beasting right now - it's been too long! Love it even more that Patrick Roy is coaching that team. What a great start to the season for the Avs and for Roy! Too bad they had to hand the Leafs their first regulation loss though.
**The Caps "leaders" - Brouwer, Green, Laich had miserabe games. A complete lack of energy, no grit, and no leadership to gain or regain momentum when it was much needed in this game. Ovechkin and Backstom played well, but when someone like Nicky B is the guy playing with the most fiestiness on the team, there are issues. This young Avs team has more leaders on just a single line than the Caps do from lines 1-4. Players like Downie, Bordeleau, McLeod, Sarich, and McGinn know exactly what it takes to gain and keep momentum. The Caps showed their lack of work ethic, the meanness, and the talent to keep up with better teams in the NHL. The best this team can potentially do is grab a playoff spot and find themselves in a 1st or 2nd round exit because the pieces are not there.
**actually, we all know what the Caps are capable of ever since the Ovechkin era. Tell me, how many playoff series have the caps won since 2006? Caps will most likely make the playoffs, but as HarmCity pointed out, they just don't have all the pieces or tenacity to make a deep run.
**I think he's basing it off of five seasons. I've been a caps fan since before I can remember, so I know this team. Too many caps fans just say "Well we outplayed the competition, the bounces just never go our way." The thing is, you have to be good to be lucky. Anyway, I know the caps have slow starts and then catch fire, I always have high hopes for our guys, but historically, the intangibles aren't there. I want them to prove everyone wrong and make a deep run, but they can't keep playing below their skill level and having good runs followed by bad ones. This isn't Moneyball. Stats don't tell the whole story.
**This cerpinTaxt fella are the type of fans that show up when the teams winning a few games and then completely disappear when the team doesn't make the playoffs... complete h0ser bandwagoner. He probably started watching hockey a few years ago.
**LordFairfax, come join us over at CSNwashington blog, we need more goat blood drinking fans like you who see the truth with mcphee. We post always on the latest thread. Right now the thread is "are the caps playing better than their record?" Anyways, CerpinTaxt only sees a few games but doesn't realize that Mcphee has been in office for 16 years. He thinks we are delusi0nal for calling out the team. "its only a few games". Ha yea right Cerpin.
**I'm complaining still. I see your point about our defense giving up too many shots, I disagree that means you guys should've won. The true chances you had to score would have left this game still at 5-3. Colorado is a hot team right now, who knows what the long term holds but I think you're being blatantly ignorant to whats happening right now based on what COULD be. The Caps have a good squad on paper but their performance so far is showing they don't have it all together yet, that should generate more concern. Not to the point that OV3CHK1NG is at, you're right that the Caps are good but you talk about them like they're some sort of gods. You can't be so blind to the reality of the situation. Colorado looks better than just about anyone right now and I can still look and pick out plenty of areas we need to improve because it's those weak spots that cost you games.
**The D looks way better than the last few years and from I've been seeing, yes a lot of shots against but also a lot of shots from the outside. The goalies have been able to see the play very well so the D is clearing the front of the net very effectively. The goalies have also been amazing and the breakouts this year are a million times better!!! Proves what good coaching/mentoring, dedication and hard work can do. Such a relief to have Sakic and Roy running the show. GO AVS GO!!!
**Wondering when the pundits will stop with the "haven't played top teams" nonsense. We've played Anaheim, Boston, Washington, and won decisively throughout each of them. Yeah, it's only five games in, but it seems a bit too obvious for anyone who sat through the Granato and Sacco years to truly appreciate that this is a DIFFERENT TEAM under Roy. A lot of dead weight was shed in the offseason and the players are more than happy to take the ice every night. Under Sacco a lot of players were just begging for the season to be done with so they had a few months away from him. This? This is different.
**Varly was insanely good.. side-to-side, kick saves, challenging shooters, etc. Plenty of chances and he came up huge. (too huge in my opinion actually as the D left him hanging several times) Washington players will be having nightmares for a while about him.
**Gosh we were in the Avs zone 28 minutes, they were in the Caps 8 minutes. We were in their zone 110 times. Add that to the Caps having over 40 shots and over 25 scoring chances it's clear we outplayed the Avs. But the Avs did what they had to do and won the game and that's what it comes down too.
**No, it's really not. They caught our D flat footed and admiring their forwards all night. True, we had more scoring chances and more shots and more zone time, but our offense was OUTPLAYED by Varly. Their offense was much better than our defense and their goalie was much better than our offense. In other words, we were outplayed.
**If you lose 3-2 or 4-3 then yes, you can say you may have outplayed the other team and a lucky bounce decided the game. When you lose 5-1 ... You were beat! You were outplayed. Avs were back on their heels in the second but they were back and forth thru the 1st and 3rd and Varly made up the difference in the 2nd. I'm not saying anything mean about the Caps. I'm just saying ... you were soundly beat on this night!
**This dude is a homer if there ever was one. I wouldn't worry too much about it. We could've scored on all 28 shots and he still would be crying that the Caps outplayed us.
**Shots really don't matter. If your goalie is facing shot after shot from the outside, seeing the puck, and saving them all, then you're doing something right. Shots can't always be blocked, but a goalie who knows where and how it's coming from will make the save. That is their job, after all.
RSS Feed
Twitter
Posted in
0 comments:
Post a Comment