Sunday, February 9, 2014

Capitals blank Devils as Brouillette scores 1st goal

**The proof of the pudding will be how the Caps play coming out of the break. 2 wins is nice, but the Caps' last W3 was posted on December 10, and their last 4-game win streak (the best they've done all season!) was early November. To be fair, they did take 23 of 26 possible points last April, and there are enough guys who were here in 2008 when "Don't Stop Believin'" was suddenly cool again in DC. If any team can finish strong, it's the Caps. And if Kuznetsov is on the plane with Ovechkin coming back from Sochi, things could get very interesting, very quickly. It could be a most intriguing couple of weeks in Washington, even with no games being played. Stay tuned.

**The one thing you should hope for is Ovechkin going on a goal scoring blitz in the playoffs. 60 goals during the season is nice, but if he really wants to earn his salary and get mentioned in the same breath of Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy, etc,, he has to average more than one goal per game in the playoffs. Only then will Caps be truly feared. And of course Caps have to make playoffs first which is likely but still not guaranteed.

**This is a positive sign. But a lot can happen over the break. I'm not sure what they need to do, but if Oates can get them into the right mindset they'll go on a tear. If not, well it'll be another frustrating spring. My hope is Ovi does great in the Olympics and comes back fired up. So only time will tell.

**Devils lose AGAIN and people still picking them to make the playoffs??? Even the eternal mediocre Blue Jackets and Leafs have a better chance.

**Perhaps those so-called I d I o t s know from long experience never to discount the Devils until it's mathematically impossible...and you don't share that experience and wisdom.

**Good way for Ovi and the Caps to end before the Sochi Olympic break. I'm sure Ovechkin is thrilled to have 40 goals this will give him some confidence for Team Russia in Sochi.

**What offensive system? This team is non-functional. Devils never were a high scoring team, but they always had players who regularly put pucks in net. They need a system, but Pete DB is clueless. I don't know how much longer they can keep up with the pack of other teams, but my optimism is quickly evaporating.

**We do have players who can put it in the net, Parise and the Russian weren't the only ones - but those that do remain are playing with one hand tied behind their backs with this coach. How long they will want to stay in such a team is what worries me.

**Excuse me, is that a joke or what? As a Caps fan, for you to say Erskine is the worst defenseman in the league is absurd. Did you just show up this season? Have you not watched Jeff Schultz the last six years? C'mon man.

**I hate the 2.5 week break for the Olympics. I'd much rather see guys getting paid for playing NHL hockey doing just that and the Olympic spots going to back to 'amateurs'. Caps need to bench Orlov, he's awful yet he continues to start, I don't understand why since Oleksy was much better and has spunk. I'm sure Brouillette was pumped with his parents in the stands. Holtby looked great tonight and I'm glad his good play is starting to register with Oates. WTG Caps, 2 in a row, please keep the momentum after the Olympic break!

**in not defend them...but that officiating was god awefull... every penalty jersey got a bs call and all caps did was embelish and get away with it.. bernier gionta zubrus all horrible calls. but anyway devils are too old and deboer needs to be fired.... this team is just a cycle team no goal scorers...ruders done nothing either

**I was at the game, only Devils fan in my section. Cheering loudly and proudly, for all we seem to have left is a waning moon of hope for the playoffs. I got trash-talked, I gave it right back to them, and had a great time regardless of the outcome of the game. I just don't know what to say anymore, this team is so disappointing this year, and with no first round draft pick, I have no idea what magic Lou will work. All I still have left is blind hope. Go Devils, and good luck to all Olympians...

**Caps need Kuznetsov. Take pressure off Ovi. With Kuznetsov, D no take away Ovi on PP too. Need goalie raffle; put names in hat, club 2 offer best D-man draw from hat. Ovi good passer but handcuff teammate- not ready.

**Good for Erat getting a goal, but now he can't break the record for most assists in a season with 0 goals. The record is 25, and for a forward is just 15. I believe Erat entered the game with 23 assists, so he had the forward record all locked up already! Coulda made history, man! Haha

**It may well have made for good insurance, but statistically, it wasn't the GWG. Statistically, the GWG goes to the goal of margin, whenever it happens to be scored. So for a shutout, the first goal by the winning team is the GWG. If the final had been, say, Caps 7-Devils 3, the Caps' 4th goal (in this example) would be considered the GWG. The Capitals record for most goals in a game is 12, in a game against the Nordiques, who only managed 2 goals that game. For that game, goal #3 by Washington would statistically be the GWG.

**I don't know, a few of those chances that went off the post/missed slightly could have very well gone in and made this a different game. I think it speaks to a team's confidence whether those kinds of goals are going in or not.... but the chances were there nonetheless



0 comments:

Post a Comment